Suitable for: Database Architect with SQL Server experience and ideally SQL Azure (or similar cloud-based service)
Location: Milton Keynes
Salary: To £70k
An exciting opportunity has become available to join a company that provides leading software solutions to the healthcare IT sector. Our client is seeking a talented and experienced Database Architect with SQL Server and ideally cloud based database service i.e. SQL Azure experience to join their development team.
The Database Architect will be working with our software architects, analysts and business stakeholders to architect and manage the design and development of our core databases that are in line with our technical and strategic goals.
The ideal candidate will be instrumental in the development and migration of our solution to our new cloud-based platform. They will have primary responsibility for the database architecture, performance, security, and reliability of the core databases (currently Microsoft SQL Server / SQL MI / SQL Azure) and NOSQL database platform (Raven DB)
- Approx 5 years’ experience as SQL Database Architect or similar
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience of working with large transactional databases and developing and administering databases
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience of designing and developing database schema/ objects whilst following good practices
- Excellent knowledge of the SQL Database Engine including strong T-SQL Experience writing queries and working with XML or JSON, creating / administrating stored procedures, scripts, functions, triggers, views, and other objects
- Experience of working with a cloud-based database service, ideally SQL Azure
- Experience working with NOSQL database solutions (advantageous)
- Excellent performance tuning skills with experience of Query Tuning, Index Optimisation, Locking etc
- Knowledge of Source Control management principles and tools such as Git
- Knowledge of automated deployment pipelines using DACPACs and Azure DevOps
- Excellent communication and documentation skills - both to a technical and non-technical audience
- Ability to work in a team environment with people of different skill sets ranging from junior to senior levels
- Experience of database release / upgrades with product releases
- Experience in database installation, backup, restore and maintenance
- BSC or equivalent in a computer science or software engineering discipline
- Professional qualifications appropriate to DB engineering roles such as Microsoft’s MCSA SQL DB Development or Azure DBA certifications
- Experience of using an IDE like Visual Studio desirable (e.g. for debugging or analysing code)
- Knowledge of 3rd party toolkits e.g. RedGate - desirable
- Knowledge of NOSQL / Document DBs - advantageous
- Domain or Product expertise in IT Healthcare would be advantageous but not essential
As SQL Database Architect the role will involve working closely with a team of Database Developers on a day-to-day basis and help oversee the database development practices and training to ensure we maintain strong reliability, performance, and integrity within the solution. The activities of the Database Architect role will span across other areas in the development department and business including working with the QA team, Integration Team, Business Intelligence Team, DevOps, and Operations.
This is an opportunity to contribute to help deliver software designed for critical systems used in the NHS and Social Care, processing messages at scale in real time, involving large transactional data, using RESTful APIs, integration engines and web-based technology.
The role will also involve an element of 3rd / 4th line assistance to help with the resolution of support calls, data migration support and assisting with major site upgrades.
- Database Design – Collaborate with the development team to design and architect a scalable, performant database design that is in line with our technical roadmap and strategic goals
- Database Performance – Tuning and optimising the database solution to be performant and scalable
- Database Development – Lead in the design and development of the solution and ensure best practices in database development. Engage in knowledge sharing and team development to ensure we maintain integrity, performance, and reliability
- Database Maintenance – Provide recommendation and guidance to the DBA team on best practices for configuration, tuning, backup, archiving, disaster recovery and performance monitoring and maintenance
- Database Security – Overseeing the overall security management and design of the database
- Leadership skills – Help to support, motivate, and grow a team of Database Developers and lead by example. Responds positively and is courteous, tactful and fosters a strong team bond and collaborative practice within the team and has an approachable manner
Full Job description is available on request
To apply: Please follow the online application process and upload your CV, in Word format
Please note: You must be eligible to work in the UK for your application to be considered (sorry, our client is unable to offer sponsorship). Due to large numbers of applications, unfortunately we cannot provide detailed feedback to everyone, however, if you wish to find out how your application is progressing please call or e-mail the office and someone will help you / get back to you.