Suitable for: Java / Kotlin Engineer, Kotlin Developer or Java Developer or Java Software Engineer with Kotlin experience
Location: London/hybrid (working in office once a week). Nearest tube is Liverpool Street
Salary: Up to £90k DOE + generous pension scheme, life, income protection and health insurance and a range of other employee benefit
Please note that unfortunately, our client is unable to offer sponsorship
Our client, an industry-leading fintech company, is continuing to scale at pace and is looking for a Senior Java/Kotlin Engineer with a broad skillset to join them on their amazing journey.
Their target architecture for new development is a cloud-native, functional, microservice architecture based around Kotlin and http4k on the backend and React/Typescript on the frontend. Their teams are autonomous, cross-functional, full-stack, full-cycle, end to end delivery squads of 5-10 software engineers alongside product management, design, and analytics.
Focus on teamwork and quality, with a product-minded and test-driven approach, enables them to go far together. They measure themselves on value delivered and operational excellence, not the number of features implemented.
Core Skills (Must Have)
- Mininum 1-2 experience as Senior Java/Kotlin Engineer, Kotlin Developer or similar
- Excellent experience building software in a JVM or a similar language such as Java, Kotlin, or C# using a Test-Driven Development (TDD) approach.
- Experience using Kotlin is essential
- Product and customer-centric mindset, outcome-focused.
- Ability to apply object-oriented and functional design principles and write clean, well-structured code.
- Knowledge of different database and state persistence options including RDBMSs and caches.
- Understanding of what makes a well-designed cloud-native microservice, including frameworks used and service responsibilities.
- Experience building scalable, performant, and reliable distributed systems using a microservices-based architecture.
- Experience applying agile and lean principles.
- Ability to learn new skills to work across the entirety of our tech stack.
It is important candidates have demonstrable evidence/experience of ALL 'must have' skills’
Core Skills (Nice to Have)
- Experience migrating from a monolithic architecture to microservices.
- Experience working with React/Angular/Vue or Node.js applicationsExperience defining Service Level Objectives and keeping within error budget
- Education should be a STEM degree from a reputable institution
The key responsibilities for the Senior Java/Kotlin Engineer is to lead the technical design and development of new product features and platform capabilities in collaboration with product managers and engineers, following an acceptance test-driven development / BDD approach - Drive improvements to our engineering practices - Mentor, coach, and support junior engineers.
Candidates who don't necessarily have explicit experience in seniority are still considered assuming they have the capabilities to grow into that type of role.
Full job description available upon request
- A friendly and vibrant working culture and people who are always keen to help each other.
- A place for candidates to grow and develop
- Great opportunity to work with one of the rising stars in FinTech
- Training/Conference budget
- Hybrid working office policy, monthly socials
To apply: Please follow the online application process and upload your CV, in Word or PDF format
Please note: You must be eligible to work in the UK for your application to be considered (sorry, our client is unable to offer sponsorship). Due to large numbers of applications, unfortunately we cannot provide detailed feedback to everyone, however, if you wish to find out how your application is progressing, please call or e-mail the office and someone will help you / get back to you.
Senior Java / Kotlin Engineer